PAT - R: Progressive Achievement Test in Reading
The PAT Reading Fourth Edition is developed by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) for assessing and tracking student achievement in reading comprehension, word knowledge and spelling.
PAT-R is designed to assess progress in reading comprehension, vocabulary and spelling of the students and consequently help the teachers to track the performance of the students and amend the ways of teaching using the information provided.
- Multiple-choice Questions
- Online and Paper-test
- Measures student achievement in each of comprehension, vocabulary and spelling and improvement over time.
- Helps in planning effective and targeted teaching programs
- Provides Comprehensive and detailed reports.
- Tracks students literacy growth over time
PATReading assessment contains multiple-choice questions in:
- Reading comprehension
- Word knowledge (Vocabulary)
PAT Reading assessment also contains nine spelling lists that are administered orally.
- For Comprehension: Students from Foundation to Year 10 are eligible
- For Vocabulary: Students from Years 3 to 10 are eligible.
- For Spelling: Students from Years 2 to 10 are eligible.
- PATReading Comprehension Test Booklets 2 - 10: 40 minutes.
- PATReading Comprehension Test Prep and Test 1: No time limits. The tests should take about 30 minutes and 40 minutes respectively.
- PATReading Vocabulary: 25 minutes
- PATReading Spelling: 10 minutes
- Administration time: 15 minutes
These tests include items that match the general range of ability of students in the target year level.
Online comprehension tests start from Test 1. Test P only available in paper format.
| Test Booklet P||Year Prep or 1|
| Test Booklet 1|| Year Prep or 1 or 2|
| Test Booklet 2|| Year 1 or 2 or 3|
| Test Booklet 3|| Year 2 or 3 or 4|
| Test Booklet 4|| Year 3 or 4 or 5|
| Test Booklet 5|| Year 4 or 5 or 6|
| Test Booklet 6|| Year 5 or 6 or 7|
| Test Booklet 7|| Year 6 or 7 or 8|
| Test Booklet 8|| Year 7 or 8 or 9|
| Test Booklet 9|| Year 8 or 9 or 10|
| Test Booklet 10|| Year 9 or 10|
| Test Booklet 1||Year 3 or 4 or 5 |
| Test Booklet 2|| Year 4 or 5 or 6|
| Test Booklet 3|| Year 6 or 7 or 8|
| Test Booklet 4|| Year 7 or 8 or 9|
| Test Booklet 5|| Year 8 or 9 or 10|
*The nine spelling lists cover Year 2 – Year 10.
The schools needs to register at https://oars.acer.edu.au/clients/new
and submit the details as required. The schools also mentions about the number of students enrolled. Once the school is registered and verified by ACER, the students of that particular school can appear for PAT-R test. Student details are uploaded onto the school test website by the test administrator. Each Student is given a unique user name and password by which he/she can log-into the test and give the test within the time duration given. Likewise, for PAT-R Paper-test, once the school is registered, Test booklets and answer sheets are provided and students need to attempt on that.
Scoring and Reporting
There are two methods of scoring and reporting:
- Hand scoring
The PAT Reading scores can be obtained manually in the school by referring to the instruction manual as provided by ACER. Using the instruction manual or the pro forma spreadsheet received, the schools can easily reach to the final scores of their students and further inculcate new ways and means of teaching.
- ACER scoring
PATReading can also be scored automatically by using ACER Test Scoring and Analysis. The answer sheets can be sent to ACER with an order form indicating which reports are required and accordingly the ACER provides the results.
Pricing: FlexiblePaper Tests
Paper tests can be purchased through our online shopOnline Tests
Tests can be purchased on an individual basis, or on a 12 month license. The costs of the tests varies as per the school size i.e., enrolment of the students and the assessment programs starting from $352.00 to $3718.00.