UMAT-Undergraduate Medical (Medicine and Health Science) Admission Test
UMAT: An Introduction
UMAT –The Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission test is developed and administered by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) in Australia and New Zealand. The UMAT is a 3 hour multiple-choice test held in late July each year.
UMAT is developed and used specifically to assist with the selection of students into the medicine, dentistry and health science degree programs at undergraduate level at the universities. UMAT is designed to assess skills in critical thinking and problem solving, understanding people and abstract non-verbal reasoning as these skills are considered important in Medicine and health sciences.
UMAT: FormatUMAT consists of:
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Uunderstanding people and
- Abstract non-verbal reasoning.
UMAT: Special Arrangement
The special sittings as a result of disability or other conditions are made available to the candidates only if they apply for special testing conditions online via their account after registration. Therefore, the candidates must apply for the same along with an explanatory letter from a registered health practitioner. This letter must be no more than one year old.
UMAT: Participating Universities
One needs a UMAT score to apply for undergraduate admission to any of the following courses:New South Wales
- The University of New South Wales: Medicine, optometry
- The University of Newcastle/ University of New England: Joint Medical program
- University of Western Sydney: Medicine
- Charles Darwin University: Clinical Sciences
- Bond University: Medicine
- The University of Queensland: Medicine (provisional entry), dental Science
- The University of Adelaide: Medicine, dental Surgery
- Flinders University: Clinical Sciences/Medicine, Vision Science
- University of Tasmania: Medicine
- La Trobe University: Health Sciences (dentistry), oral health Science
- Monash University: Medicine
- The University of Western Australia: Medicine (assured entry), dental Medicine (assured entry)
- The University of Auckland: Medicine
- University of Otago: Medicine, Medical laboratory Science, dental Surgery
- Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT) is held by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER).
- Exams are held on behalf of the UMAT Consortium Ltd., a group of some of the most prestigious universities in Australia and New Zealand.
- UMAT is a 3 hour long test with no rest breaks.
- All candidates are given 10 minutes reading time at the beginning of the test.
- The scores are provided in 4 parts: scores of each of the three constructs and the overall score.
- The overall score is reported as an aggregate.
- UMAT scores are used for entry in the medicine, dentistry and health science degree programs at the undergraduate level.
- Students from all over the world are eligible to sit for the examination.
- The results of the test are declared by ACER in late September, following which candidates can start applying for the various universities. Each university has different criteria for admitting students in the various courses.
- A candidate can sit UMAT ‘n’ number of times. A UMAT score is valid for one year.
- Candidates from any and every stream can sit the UMAT.