Travel and Visa for International Students in Australia

Australian Universities offer accommodation scholarships. The cost for students who have to live away from home can have a big impact. The costs will vary depending on your chosen state, city, and type of accommodation.

Some of the different types of accommodation are as follows:
  • Short-term accommodation

Short-term accommodation options include: Hostels and discounted rates on hotels.
Cost: $80 to $135 per week
  • Board

Board is offered by families or mature age adults who enjoy the company of students and who, by taking in a boarder, reduce their expenses such as insurance, utilities, and rent. Board is normally the cheapest type of accommodation because you have: a furnished room; and electricity, gas, food, and washing are usually included. Ironing is usually a bonus.
  • Sharing a house or flat

Sharing usually means that you share a house or flat with other students, or the owner. Each person has their own bedroom and shares the facilities, i.e. common bathroom, kitchen, laundry etc. Costs for utilities such as electricity and gas are shared, and you are responsible for your own cooking, cleaning and laundry.
Cost: $70 to $250 per week
  • Renting a house or flat

Real estate agents have listings of houses and flats to rent and are familiar with students making enquiries. Before you leave home, collect two or three character references (from school, work, or someone in the business community). These can assist in applying for rental accommodation as real estate agents need to assure landlords that the property will be looked after.
Cost: $100 to $400 per week
  • On-Campus

Campus living can be a great option to minimize travel. Most universities have comfortable and furnished apartment-style living on campus or close by, sometimes with cleaning and meals included.
Cost: $80 to $250 per week

Health Insurance

  • Overseas Student Health Cover:

    Australia has a special system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). As an overseas student, you and your accompanying family must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your student visa in Australia. OSHC will help you to pay for any medical and hospital care you may need while studying in Australia.

    The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) requires all student visa holders to have purchased Overseas Student Health Cover for the duration of their student visa when they apply for their visa. OSHC covers you for doctors, hospitals, and ambulance and prescription drugs.
  • Private Health Insurance:

    Along with your OSHC you might want to consider purchasing private health insurance to cover items that your OSHC does not cover.


Once you have been accepted to study at an institution and have received confirmation of your student visa, the next step is to start planning for your arrival. Following are the essentials:
  • Student enrolment and orientation documents – You will need your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) and student information pack, which you will have received from your institution.
  • Airfares – Be aware of the date and time of your flight. Keep your flight details in a safe and secure place, with your passport and visa.
  • Contact details –Have a list of emergency contact details of your embassy, accommodation and institution details. If you have used an education agent, hold back their contact details with you, in case you need to contact them once you arrive in Australia.
  • Australian currency – There are money exchange places available at Australian airports and in urban centers, but it is recommended to have some Australian currency to you prior to leaving your home country.
For detailed visa information click here.
Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...

Australia Select a Country

Our Network :