Undergraduate Degree Admission Procedure- International Students
Australia follows 10 2 3/4 year of education system. International students willing to study Under Gradute programme in Australia need to possess 12 years of school education or equivalent. Your qualification must match on equivalency scale of Australian education system. There are two types of undergraduate qualifications offered by most higher education institutions are as follows:
- Bachelor degree: Bachelor degrees provide initial preparation for professional careers and postgraduate study and involve a minimum of three years of full-time study. Entry typically requires completion of an Australian secondary school certificate of education (Year 12) or the overseas equivalent, or a diploma or advanced diploma from the Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector.
- Bachelor degree (honours): Honours may require an optional additional year of study (usually research based) following a three-year degree or may be awarded for academic achievement in degrees of four or more years.
Entry into Undergraduate Degree Course of Studies in Australia is highly competitive. The most important prerequisite is English language proficiency. At all Australian universities, English is the language of instruction. An applicant has to provide evidence of proficiency in the English language.
- IELTS: IELTS or International English Language Test is frequently administered by the British Council. Most universities require international students to take this test.
- TOEFL: TOEFL or Test of English as a Foreign Language is an alternative to IELTS. This test is carried out by ETS and accepted by most Australian universities.
Applicants also require an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) of at least 70 (80 for engineering and other select courses). The ATAR required for each course changes from year to year, depending on demand.STAT:
STAT is a series of tests designed to assess a range of competencies considered important for success in tertiary study. It assesses the ability to think critically and analyze the material given, rather than testing your knowledge of specific academic subjects.
Each Education provider will have different entrance requirements such as prior knowledge in certain subject, work or volunteer experience, portfolio, Official academic transcripts, test or interview. Pre-requisite subjects differ from course to course, e.g., a Bachelor of Commerce might require Mathematics, and a Bachelor of Engineering might require Advanced Mathematics as well as Calculus, Physics and Chemistry while a Bachelor of Arts degree might have no pre-requisites. A course, in art and design, expects students to submit portfolios of their work with their applications.
The duration of Undergraduate degree program is generally three or four years' full-time study or part-time equivalent.
Starting dates vary widely depending upon the course undertaken. Undergraduate degree programs generally run from late February to mid-November. The academic year is divided into two semesters, although some Universities operate on trimester system or offer summer schools from December to February. Applicants should enrol for their area of study at the beginning of the year i.e. January or February and the application dates are towards the end of the previous year. Also, some institutions have a mid-year intake i.e. in month of July for certain specific courses.
Admission ProcedureThe admission process involves following steps:
1. Application Forms
In the form, fill the following sections and submit:
- Requesting Application Forms via email: You can request application forms from the universities website. Most universities have a form on their website which can be completed online to request application material.
- University Representatives and Agents: The other way is to take forms directly from the university representatives or agents based in your city. Most Australian universities and colleges have agents all over the world.
- Downloading from the university website: Many universities have a downloadable and ready to print versions of their application forms on the internet. These can be used for applying just as regular forms.
2. Supporting Documents
Submit Supporting documents such as transcripts from all high school coursework, test scores of IELTS/TOEFL, and Reference/Personal Statement.
3. Letter of Offer
If the application is successful, the applicant will receive “Letter of Offer”. To confirm the offer you must reply to this letter by signing and sending an acceptance of offer back to the institution either by email or post. Subsequently you have accepted your Offer and paid your deposit you will receive an ‘Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment’ (eCoE) by email.
4. A valid visa
International students require a valid visa to study in Australia. Visa Officer may ask for following documents
Offer letter of admission from an Australian institute
Funding resources to stay and study in Australia
- English score (if you are non-native speaker)
- A valid passport that shall stay valid throughout your study duration.
- Health Certificate
- Health Insurance Card
- Any other relevant document