Various Diploma and Degree Programs offered in Australia
TAFE (Technical and Further Education)
TAFE qualifications range through Certificate 1 to 4 up to Diploma and Advanced Diploma.
- Certificate 1: The purpose of the Certificate I qualification type is to qualify individuals with basic functional knowledge and skills to undertake work, further learning and community involvement.
- Certificate 2: The purpose of the Certificate II qualification type is to qualify individuals to undertake mainly routine work and as a pathway to further learning.
- Certificate 3: The purpose of the Certificate III qualification type is to qualify individuals who apply a broad range of knowledge and skills in varied contexts to undertake skilled work and as a pathway for further learning.
- Certificate 4: The purpose of the Certificate IV qualification type is to qualify individuals who apply a broad range of specialized knowledge and skills in varied contexts to undertake skilled work and as a pathway for further learning.
Diploma and Advanced Diploma Program
Diploma and Advanced Diploma programs in Australia teach theory and practical skills in a broad scope of technological and/or management functions and roles.
Associate degree programs follow year 12 or equivalent, or Certificate III or IV. It is a shorter, higher education qualification offering an exit point at the sub-degree level, or a fully articulated pathway into a Bachelor Degree.
For students with no prior university qualification.
- Bachelor’s Degree: The bachelor degree is the base university qualification. Bachelor degrees provide initial preparation for professional careers and postgraduate study and involve a minimum of three years of full-time study. Some institutions offer a fast-track system, which allows students to finish a three-year degree in two years.
- Bachelor’s Honours Degree: Honours may require an optional additional year of study (usually research based) following a three-year degree or may be awarded for academic achievement in degrees of four or more years.
Post Graduate Degree
- Graduate Certificate: The graduate certificate broadens the skills and knowledge already acquired from an undergraduate degree, or develops your vocational skills in a fresh arena.
- Graduate Diploma: The graduate diploma is a specialized, vocationally-oriented degree designed for students who wish to acquire new knowledge and skills in an area not previously studied.
- Masters Degree: The purpose of Masters Degree is to qualify individuals who apply an advanced body of knowledge in a range of contexts for research and scholarship and as a pathway for further learning. It is designed to enhance your professional skills or help you get a richer discernment of a specific area of knowledge. There are three main forms of Masters Degrees within the Masters Degree qualification type: the Masters Degree (Research), the Masters Degree (Coursework) and the Masters Degree (Extended).
- Masters Degree (Research): consists of research and a thesis.
- Masters Degree (Coursework): consists of coursework, project work and research.
- Masters Degree (Extended): involves work-based projects.
Research Degree - Doctoral Degree
The Doctoral Degree is the highest award offered by Australian universities. It is for graduates who want to investigate and contribute knowledge in a particular academic discipline. Doctoral degrees recognize a considerable original contribution to a given field in the shape of new knowledge or the adaptation, application and interpretation of living knowledge. There are two forms of Doctoral Degree: the Doctoral Degree (Research) and the Doctoral Degree (Professional).
- Research doctorate (PhD): These consist primarily of supervised research resulting in the culmination of a dissertation.
- Professional doctorate: These combine coursework and research for professionals desiring to advance their knowledge in their domain without the research commitment of a PhD.