Admission Procedure and Standards “Australian Students”
Australia is home to some of the finest education institutions and offers world-class education with an array of courses for Australian students. There are a range of pathways available for meeting the academic standards required for admission. The admission procedure and criterion varies from institutions/universities.
To be eligible to apply you must meet the admission requirements of the institution offering the course, and meet the entrance requirements of the course, some courses have course prerequisites or additional selection criteria. We have prepared admission procedure as per the level of degrees, flip through the sections to know more.
Eligibility Criteria for Admissions in Australia
Education is the responsibility of the Federal government in Australia. The State and Territory Governments handle admission procedures for colleges and universities in case of domestic students.
According to the Australian educational system, you need to complete a secondary education in order to get in an undergraduate course and a three year graduation to apply for a post-graduate course. Besides, some universities demand for a four year program equivalent to that of an Australian Honours Degree to consider you for any Master's disciplines.
Along with completing academic essentialities, English Language is also an indispensable criterion for admissions.
The academic requirements (including evidence of English language skills) will vary depending on the level of education you want to study in Australia. Institutions can have different entry requirements, so read the course information on their website carefully and contact them.
Entry requirements for the different levels of study:
- English language - Entry requirements vary between institutions, and according to the level of English language course you want to study.
- Schools - Entry requirements vary between schools depending on the state or territory you will be studying in. Academic performance and ability is considered during the application process.
- Vocational education and training - In most cases there are no entrance exams for VET institutions. However, some courses may have specific pre-requisite subjects or work experience requirements.
- Higher Education Undergraduate - To gain entry into an Australian undergraduate course you will need to hold an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12), or the overseas equivalent. Some undergraduate courses may also have specific pre-requisite subjects.
- Higher Education Postgraduate - As well as the satisfactory completion of at least one degree at undergraduate level, your institution may get hold research ability or relevant work experience into consideration.
If you are planning to apply to an Australian university, then you must start at least 6 months in advance i.e. before the commencement of the session. Any queries regarding the details of the course must be put forth during the early stages of applying procedure. You can avail application forms by email, air mail or even download it from the university website. Once you've adjudicated on a course and an institution, it's time to apply for admission.
Direct to the education provider
Download the application form from the education provider's website. If you are applying for courses at more than one institution, you will need to submit a separate application to each institution.
Requesting Application Forms via email
One can request application forms from the universities website. Most universities have a form on their website which can be completed online to request application material.
You will need to prepare supporting documentation to send with your application. The documents vary depending on the course, provider and qualification you're studying for. The most significant documents include:
- Academic Records: This includes scores and official certificates and transcripts.
- Bachelors or Master's Degree certificates/Provisional certificates.
- English Proficiency certificate (IELTS or ToEFL).
- Standardized test scores like STAT and ATAR.
- Work history (for postgraduate and doctorate progr
- Certificates or documents which verify previous study or work experience if you are seeking course credits. These must be translated into English.
Receiving your Letter of Offer
If the application is successful, you will receive a ‘Letter of Offer’. To confirm the offer you must reply to this letter by signing and sending an acceptance of offer back to the institution. This can usually be done by mail or, in some cases, by scanning and emailing the letter. The Letter of Offer is a contract between you and the institution. It sets out the course you will be enrolled in, enrollment conditions, the fees you need to pay, and the refund payable if you don’t finish your course with that provider. This contract is very important – if you don’t start your course, or finish your course, this written agreement will be used to determine if you will get a refund.
Confirmation of Enrolment
Subsequently you have accepted your Offer and paid your deposit you will receive an ‘Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment’ (eCoE) by email. This will outline your course start date, total course fees and the duration of the course undertaken.
According to Study in Australia, the official
government site for international students, tuition fees per year for
students for an undergraduate bachelor’s degree range from AU$15,000
(US$14,005) to AU$33,000 (US$30,810); a postgraduate master’s degree
ranges from AU$20,000 (US$18,673) to $37,000 (US$34,546); and a doctoral
degree from AU$14,000 (US$13,071) to $37,000 (US$34,546).
fees are generally calculated per unit, not per degree. Each unit falls
into a fee band, and most students will be studying a combination of
units from different bands, which entails that the fees will be
different for everybody. But some universities publish estimates, such
as Australian National University (ANU – the top-ranking Australian
university in 2013).
Financial aid can be availed by the prospective students to know more click here.